PLEASE NOTE: Due to COVID-19, Volusia County Schools will not be accepting any International Exchange Students for the 2020-2021 school year at this time. We look forward to resuming this important global program in the future.
ABOUT OUR INTERNATIONAL STUDENT EXCHANGE PROGRAM
The purpose of the International Student Exchange Program is to provide international students with the opportunities to participate in educational and cultural programs in the United States. International Exchange Students are placed with host families and can only be enrolled into Volusia County Schools under the sponsorship of federally approved agencies.
- International Student Exchange Program Guidelines
- Requirements for Student Packets - Checklist
- 2020-2021 Student Packet
International Exchange Process
- Sponsoring Agency's chief officer completes and signs Annual Notification of Compliance form and submits proof of designation as an approved sponsor by the United States Information Agency Exchange Visitor Program Staff. Designation can be shown either by a letter from the Agency or by submitting a copy of the most recent United States Information Agency list of organizations with high school exchange visitor program designation. Please email both documents to the World Languages office at the email addresses listed below. This information should be sent no earlier than January 1st and no later than April 3rd of the calendar year preceding the school year in which the sponsor anticipates placing an exchange student in a Volusia County School. In order for a sponsoring agency to retain their privilege to make application to place exchange students in a Volusia County School, the chief office of the sponsoring agency must, on an annual basis, submit written attestation that the organization will adhere to the procedures established by Volusia County Schools.
- Sponsoring Agency verifies with the World Languages office the availability of openings at a particular school. Verification of the availability of openings at a particular school must be done prior to placing a student with a host family.
- Sponsoring Agency submits Student Packet to the World Languages office no later than July 3rd of the calendar year prior to the academic year the student is planning to attend.
- The World Language office completes and forwards the School Enrollment Form to the principal of the school for approval. If there is not an opening, the Sponsoring Agency is notified.
- If there is an opening at the school and the principal accepts the student(s) placement, the World Language office sends the School Enrollment Form to the Sponsoring Agency.
- The World Language office sends a copy of the Sponsoring Agency Student Packet to the school.
International Exchange Program Contacts
Dr. Grace Kellermeier