ABOUT OUR FOREIGN EXCHANGE PROGRAM
The purpose of the Student Exchange Program is to provide foreign nationals with the opportunities to participate in educational and cultural programs in the United States. Exchange students are placed with host families and can only be enrolled into Volusia County Schools under the sponsorship of federally approved agencies.
Foreign Exchange Process
- Sponsoring Agency obtains document Procedures for Sponsoring Agencies Providing Services for Exchange Visitors Entering Volusia County School on a J-1 Visa from the office of Student Services.
- Sponsoring Agency's chief officer completes and signs Annual Notification of Compliance with Procedures form.
- Sponsoring Agency sends Annual Notification of Compliance with Procedures form to the Office of Student Services. This information should be sent no earlier than January 1st and no later than March 30th of the calendar year preceding the school year in which the sponsor anticipates placing an exchange student in a Volusia County School. In order for a sponsoring agency to retain their privilege to make application to place exchange students in a Volusia County School, the chief office of the sponsoring agency must, on an annual basis, submit written attestation that the organization will adhere to the procedures established by Volusia County Schools.
- Sponsoring Agency submits proof of designation as an approved sponsor by the United States Information Agency Exchange Visitor Program Staff to the office of Student Services. Designation can be shown either by a letter from the Agency or by submitting a copy of the most recent United States Information Agency list of organizations with high school exchange visitor program designation. This information should be sent no earlier than January 1st and no later than March 30th of the calendar year preceding the school year in which the sponsor anticipates placing an Exchange Student in a Volusia County school.
- Sponsoring Agency verifies with the office of Student Services the availability of openings at a particular school. Verification of the availability of openings at a particular school must be done prior to placing a student with a host family.
- Sponsoring Agency submits all student information, insurance requirements, student identification card, host family information, and proof of insurance to the office of Student Assignments-Zoning no later than June 30th of the calendar year prior to the academic year the student is planning to attend.
- The office of Student Services completes and forwards the School Enrollment Form to the principal of the school for approval. If there is not an opening, the Sponsoring Agency is notified.
- If there is an opening at the school and the principal accepts the student(s) placement, the office of Student Services sends the School Enrollment Form to the Sponsoring Agency.
- The office of Student Services sends a copy of the Sponsoring Agency packet to the school and notifies the host family in writing.
Foreign Exchange Program Contacts
Dr. Grace Kellermeier