The Volunteer/Partnership Programs Department replaced the paper Volunteer Application with an online application through the Raptor System.
The application in electronic form can be accessed by using any type of computer. The link to the new online application is available on our Department Resources page or in the Related Links in the navigation. The online application is available in English and Spanish versions.
Online Application Instructions
- Fill out the online application form on any computers. Be sure to use your full legal name and birthdate.
- Have your government issued ID scanned at a school or district site. Your ID must match the name and birthdate you provided on your volunteer application.
- Once approved, you will receive an e-mail to the address you provided in your application. Approvals are immediate if there are no alerts from the background check.
- All volunteer approvals will expire on June 30, 2020, requiring volunteers to renew. Your ID will not need to be scanned again unless your name has legally changed.
NOTE: The Raptor System that is used to check in visitors and volunteers has been upgraded. Any volunteer who was cleared prior to June 3, 2019 will need to have his/her ID re-scanned. IDs will not transfer as part of this upgrade. Renewals will be required on or after July 1, 2020.
The Volunteer Portal is an easy-to-use portal to manage your volunteer activities in Volusia County Schools, including:
- changes to your address and phone number (changes to email addresses must be done through Raptor Support)
- adding and modifying volunteer hours
- setting communication preferences
- signing up to volunteer for upcoming events
To access the Volunteer Portal, use this URL: tinyurl.com/VolusiaVolunteer. Your username is the email you used in your volunteer application. If you forgot your password, please click "Forgot Password". An email will be sent to the email address associated with your volunteer application with instructions to set a new password.
Volunteers in Public Schools Information
The Volunteers in Public Schools (VIPS) program has served the school district since before the formal beginning of the program 40 years ago. VIPS involves all segments of the community and all age groups who help meet the needs of students through the enhancement of education. Volunteers work in every aspect of school operations. They assist in the classroom, school office, health room and special areas; provide one-on-one tutoring and mentoring to at-risk students; and work with PTA/PTSA, School Advisory Councils, Extended Day, academic enhancement programs, and extracurricular organizations.
Starting with 150 volunteers in 1978, VIPS has grown to over 37,000 volunteers who gave 1,047,960 hours during the 2018-2019 school year. This translates to over $26 million dollars in accordance with Independent Sector's value of volunteer service. VIPS volunteers supplied a daily average of 5,822 service hours over a 180-day school year!
Visit Awards for information on our 2018-2019 Outstanding Volunteers.
For additional information on specific programs that utilize school volunteers visit the following programs:
- Super Star Math Program
- Mentor Program
- Volunteer Speakers Bureau
- Youth Partnership Program (Student Service)
- Fingerprinting Approval Process
To become a school volunteer, call your local school and ask to speak with the school's volunteer coordinator or call the district office at Phone: (386) 255-6475 Ext. 38379.
Volunteer Opportunity Listing
The district's Volunteer/Partnership Programs Department has initiated web-listings for "volunteer opportunities." The school-level volunteer coordinators are encouraged to submit their needs for volunteers and the district will advertise these needs through the listings. Currently the listing is small, but please check back again as our listings begin to grow. The purpose of this listing is to help match our Volusia County School volunteers to the needs of specific schools. If you are interested in helping with any of these needs, please contact the volunteer coordinator listed for the school.
Parents and community members - see listing here
NOTE: This listing is an optional recruitment method for schools and does not reflect the needs for all schools. Volunteer applicants are always welcome to call the volunteer coordinator at any Volusia public school.