VIPS Volunteer Guidelines
The health and wellbeing of all staff, students and visitors is a top priority for Volusia County Schools. Due to COVID-19, volunteer opportunities are very limited. Below are the guidelines for the 2020-2021 school year. The district will reevaluate these guidelines for the 2021-2022 school year.
- Must wear a face covering/mask and be temperature checked
- Must sign in on Raptor kiosk or at front desk (be sure to use hand sanitizer)
- Must be pre-approved by the principal (or designee) at least 24-hours in advance
- Limited to opportunities that have no direct contact with students (except for returning/matched mentors). Recommending volunteers check with school for specific needs, such as:
- food pantry
- school store
- clothing closet
- assisting teacher with projects from home
- Virtual volunteers permitted with teacher consent for things such as reading to students, presentations, etc.
- volunteer must never be alone with students – teacher must be present
- Consent Form for Virtual Services of School Volunteers must be on file for students who are enrolled in Volusia Live (not needed for brick & mortar)
- Mentors will meet face-to-face only with students who currently have an established relationship with a mentor.
- must have a signed parent permission form on file (“forever letter” that is valid until permission is withdrawn) to verify mentoring relationship
- no virtual mentoring due to security and privacy concerns
- no new matches between students and community/volunteer mentors
- Take Stock in Children (TSIC) mentors will follow separate guidelines. TSIC has procedures in place to allow for virtual mentoring, including signed parent permission forms and employees monitoring all mentoring sessions. Incoming freshman will be matched with mentors in accordance with scholarship guidelines and procedures.
Volunteer and Business Partner Opportunities
We invite you to share your expertise, experience or resources with our students.Please see community involvement needs and specific requests from schools by checking out the "Volunteer Opportunities" and "Business Partner Opportunities." Reach out to a school if you think you can be of service!
The Volunteer/Partnership Programs Department assists schools in the recruitment, registration, utilization, and recognition of volunteers and Business Partners in Volusia County Schools. The district office trains school-level coordinators to facilitate community involvement programs at their schools. Programs include: VIPS (Volunteers in Public Schools), Volusia Partners (Business Partners), Youth Partnership Program (student service), Youth Motivator Program (mentors), Super Star Math Program, and Volunteer Speakers Bureau. See the left navigation bar for more information.
Want to become a VIPS Volunteer?
Thank you for volunteering your time to enrich our students’ learning experiences.
The application is electronic and can be accessed by using any device connected to the Internet. The link to the application is available on our website under "Related Links.”
All volunteer applications will expire on June 30 of each year.
Online Application Instructions
- Fill out the online application on any computer. Be sure to use your full legal name and birthdate as it appears on your driver’s license or other government issued ID.
- Be sure to select the school(s) where you most frequently volunteer. Also, select the Functions you would like to see when you sign in at the kiosk.
- Once approved, you will receive an email to the email address you provided in your application. Approvals are immediate if there are no alerts from the background check.
- The first time you volunteer, have your government issued ID scanned by the school. Your ID must match the name and birthdate you provided on your volunteer application.
- All volunteer approvals will expire on June 30 each year, requiring volunteers to renew. Your ID will not need to be scanned again unless your name has legally changed.
NOTE: Selecting the functions of Overnight Chaperone and Band Adjunct require fingerprinting. Selecting Mentor requires training. Applications will not be approved until these requirements have been met.
Want to become a Business Partner?
To become a Volusia Partner, call your local school and ask to speak with the business partner coordinator or call the district office (see Department Contact below). Please select Business Partners from our menu on the left for a description of the Volusia Partners Program.