Volusia County Schools adopted a student appearance, dress and uniform code for all elementary, middle and high school students. The policy was amended on July 22, 2019 to allow any solid color polo or oxford shirts and school related tee-shirts for high school students. Further, it added three colors for polos and oxford shirts at elementary & middle school: white, gray and black. Schools may select up to two additional school colors for the collared shirts. Complete guidelines can be found in Policy 217.
General Dress Code Policy Requirements
- Appropriate sizes - Garments must be of a length and fit that are suitable to the build and stature of the student.
- Upper garments – Upper garments must be long enough to clearly overlap the beltline or stay tucked in during the course of normal movement during the day.
- Lower garments – Lower garments with visible belt loops shall be worn with a belt that is properly fastened. Exceptions will be allowed for students in grades K – 5 and in individual cases based upon the discretion of the principal or designee. The waistband of pants, shorts or skirts must be worn and secured between the hips and the waist. Undergarments and the buttocks must remain entirely covered even while seated. Jumpers, skirts and shorts must be at least mid-thigh or below in length.
- Head - No hats, caps, visors, hoods, bandanas, sunglasses or other head gear may be worn inside an enclosed school building except with administrative permission (i.e. medical necessity, religious, school related events)
- Shoes/Footwear - All students shall wear shoes/footwear. Students must wear shoes that are safe and appropriate for the learning environment. Students must wear athletic shoes in all physical education classes.
- Outerwear – Coats, jackets, sweaters and other appropriate outer garments when necessary due to weather conditions. When outer garments with hood are worn, the hoods must be removed from the head while in school buildings. The outer garments must be of the appropriate size and shall not be overly baggy or violate any provisions of the dress code.
School Uniform Requirements
Elementary & Middle School
- Collared polos/oxford shirts in white, gray, black, or 2 school approved colors (see School Shirt Colors below)
- Gray, navy, blue, black, or khaki solid color bottoms
- Closed-toe shoes
- Any solid color collared polo or oxford shirt or school-related tees
- Any solid color bottoms
- Student Appearance Dress and Uniform Code
- School Shirt Colors (*This document is updated annually, please contact your school to ensure the current colors.)
- Volusia County Schools Uniform Policy Photo Gallery
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Dress Code Flyer