Welcome to Orange City Elementary
555 E. University Ave.
All students learn at Orange City School where CPR: Cooperation, Pride and Respect, brings us to life and helps us to do our best!
School Colors: Blue and Gold
School Mascot: Roadrunner
School Hours: 7:45 am - 2:30 pm
Alma Mater we hold dear
Everyday through out each year
Memories of the time we've shared
And for teachers who have cared.
Orange City School has stood the test
Far above all others it's the best
Blue and gold, strong and true
OCS we're proud of you!
- 1876 - the first school in Orange City was built
- The first school board: Dr. Seth French, J. E. Stillman, J. C. Thorpe, Freeman Grover, and George M. Parker
- First teacher: Emma Taylor
- 1878 - Major Alden organized a public school under the laws of Volusia County; the land was donated by the Wisconsin Co. A wood frame building with an outhouse was built on a ten-acre tract now bordered by French, Leavitt, University, and Orange Avenues.
- October 7, 1921: PTA was organized *
- 1924: the school had grown to four teachers with approximately 120 students. One of the teachers was Mrs. Frances Hodges; her granddaughter is Mrs. Dora Wright.
- 1925: PTA had electricity installed
- 1927 - 1928: a new stucco building was built which is still in use today.
- 1928: the first graduation took place
- 1963: one of the first kindergartens started, Orange City School taught K - 8 at this time
- 1968: OCS received awards for one of the best elementary school media centers in the county
- 1970: portable classrooms were brought in
- 1977: new cafeteria was built
- 1988 - 1989: 2 new buildings east of the original building were built
- 1980's: one brick unit from the Coleman School was moved to OCS from Blue Springs Av. through the middle of Orange City to where it sits today behind the cafeteria.
- 1950's: the start of the Safety Patrols
- 1965-1966: junior and senior high students
To find out more about this school and others in our district, please click on the link below.