Volusia Live Student Orientation
|Quick Start for K-5 Microsoft Teams Laptop Users||Quick Start for Microsoft Teams iPad Users|
The new, virtual Volusia Live is an innovative, real-time, live learning option that mirrors the Traditional Classroom school day, but remotely. Students learn from home following the same daily class schedule through their school of enrollment. Students receive instruction from their teacher over a computer by using Zoom or Teams (real-time live streaming). Students log in and out of each class period/school day, attendance is taken, and students are expected to engage in classroom activities.
- Learn at home
- Receive online face-to-face lesson in real time
- Curriculum and seat time mirror traditional classroom
- What To Expect
- Web conferencing tools (Teams and/or Zoom) to access traditional classroom setting from home
- Teacher from enrolled school provides instruction and communication.
- PK-2nd Grade, a dedicated Volusia Live teacher will provide instruction from physical school location through Microsoft Teams or Zoom to student at home. The number of teachers per grade level per school for the PK-2nd grade model of Volusia Live will be determined based on the need.
- This option is not available for VPK.
- 3rd through 12th grades, live-stream lessons will be provided through Microsoft Teams or Zoom from physical school location to student at home in real time.
- Elementary and secondary schedules will follow traditional classroom bell schedules:
- Elementary: 7:50 a.m. –2:30 p.m.
- Middle: 9:30 a.m. –4:15 p.m.
- High: 8:30 a.m. –3:30 p.m.
- Students enrolled in Cambridge, IB, AP, Career Academies and Special Programs can continue to participate in both Traditional Classroom Setting and Volusia Live setting.
- Approved school variances will continue to be honored.
- English Language Learners (ELL) Specifics and Considerations
- VCS will continue initial identification testing for ESOL Services.
- VCS will conduct ELL Committee meetings as needed, based on Progress Monitoring data, to determine appropriate services as follows:
- Classroom teacher support with accommodations and strategies
- ESOL teacher direct support
- ESOL Paraprofessional assistance with communication based on need for support in first language
- VCS will provide Extended Learning opportunities as needed.
- VCS will continue communication efforts from ESOL Department for Non-English-speaking families.
- Exceptional Student Education (ESE) Specifics and Considerations
- Deadline for requesting online option to allow for IEP team review/revision/modification will be made on an individualized basis.
- Robust monitoring of IEP goals and objectives to ensure tiered support to students not making progress
- IEP teams will reconvene based on data collection to explore transition to other methods/platform of instruction.
- Increased ratio for online low incidence programs (4:1) utilizing paraprofessional when appropriate during live instruction
- Daily subject specific schedule including consideration for OT/PT/SLP
- Service delivery completed live via Teams or Zoom
- Project SEARCH students will continue to receive current services and vocational training.
- Recommended for
- Students and families who do not feel comfortable returning to school
- High level of parental support needed at home for success with instruction
- Technology Requirements
Good news! Most computers purchased within the last five years will meet the hardware recommendations for Volusia Live! Any Microsoft Windows 8.1+, Apple Mac OS X 10.14+, or Apple iOS 13+ laptop, desktop, or tablet device with the following requirements is preferred.
Minimum System Requirements for Ideal Performance
- 1.8 GHz Processor or better
- 128 GB Hard Drive
- 4 GB RAM Memory
- Web Camera or Built-in Camera
Supported Operating Systems
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 or 10
- Apple Mac OS X 10.14 or above
- Apple iOS 13+
- Google Chrome (preferred)
- Microsoft Edge (new version)
- Mozilla Firefox
- Apple Safari
- All VCS students can download Microsoft Office to their personal devices for free!
- Students can log onto VPortal, click on the Office 365 icon and select the Download option in the upper right-hand corner.
- Volusia Live Parent Guides
- 'Grab and Go' Meals Information
Students participating in the Volusia Live option may pick up “Grab and Go” breakfast and lunch meals (bundled for one pickup) at select sites only. Regular prices (free, reduced, or full pay) will apply. Families are required to pre-order bundled meals. Information regarding pre-ordering, the payment method, and meal pick up locations and times is available at: https://www.vcsedu.org/news/volusia-live-option-2-students-eligible-grab-and-go-meals.
- Parent Portal - Parent Portal Information
- VPortal Information
- Apple iPads for Face 2 Face & Volusia Live Resource
- Zoom Student Login - Laptop
- Zoom Student Login - iPad
Support for Teachers
Volusia Live teachers have the option of using “Volusia Live Support Chat” to get immediate assistance with any technology concerns they might encounter. Support Chat is available to teachers from 7am-5pm weekdays. If the live operator cannot quickly solve the technology issue at hand, they will contact and dispatch the USA tech to the teacher’s classroom for assistance. Questions submitted by teachers after hours will be emailed to an operator and answered as quickly as possible the following day. Teachers can find Volusia Live Support Chat directly in their VPortal, as well as in the VCS Staff Library in VPortal.