Message from the Superintendent
Volusia County Community:
I want to take a moment to thank you for supporting our county's Half-Cent Sales Tax Initiative, which went into effect in 2017. This initiative is an important example of how our community can come together to say unequivocally that public education matters.
Although great teachers and involved parent and guardians are the core to a student's success, the learning environment plays a vital role. Updating our schools improves every student's chances for success, and these schools serve as centerpieces for our communities.
Providing equitable access to technology means we can help create life-long learners who are prepared for an ever-changing global society.
Some of the projects using these funds include security infrastructures to keep students and staff safe.
There have been numerous security technologies implemented, such as upgraded surveillance systems, front entry doorbell cameras, access control systems and systems to enhance emergency communications within the schools. To further ensure the safety of our students, specific details on these projects are not shared with the public.
This Half-Cent Sales Tax Initiative will help ensure our children's success as students today, and as productive citizens tomorrow.
Thank you for your support.
Dr. Scott Fritz
Volusia Schools Half-Cent Sales Tax at Work
The half-cent sales tax extension was approved on August 26, 2014 by Volusia County voters, and went into effect January 1, 2017.
The extension will run for 15 years, from 2017 to 2031, and will be focused on capital improvements. Those improvements include security enhancements, technology upgrades, replacement schools, and significant school renovations. Every school and every student will benefit.
For a full list of the projects, see the Project List
For more updates on the Half-Cent Sales Tax:
- Ortona Elementary - Osceola Elementary Consolidation (March 2, 2020)
- Community Meetings (March 9 and 11, 2020)
- Presentation to the School Advisory Council
School Improvements Tour (Apr. 19, 2021)
Construction Update (Mar. 17, 2021)
Construction Update (Oct. 12, 2020)
George W. Marks Elementary
Touring the New Main Building (Sept. 8, 2020)
Dedication (Dec. 13, 2018)
Half-Cent Sales Tax Project News
- Dave Laver, project manager for the Deltona Middle replacement school construction, reports major progress on site. Roofing in all areas would have been completed by July, with storefront framing started and fireproofing finished. Read more »
- Work on the New Smyrna Beach Middle campuswide HVAC, ceiling, lighting and flooring renovation continues. Dave McCarty, project manager, reports that the project is tracking to complete ahead of schedule. Read more »
- The School Board of Volusia County approved on May 11, 2021 the certificate of final inspection for the renovations and additions project at Westside Elementary, paving the way towards the occupancy of the new and renovated structures next schoolyear. Read more »
- Construction for the Deltona Middle School master plan project continues apace, with all of the H-Pile work completed on August 22nd. Read more »
- Volusia County Schools’ newest school, George Marks Elementary, opened its brand new doors to its SY 2020-21 students. Read more »
- As Volusia County’s students return to school today, Chisholm Elementary will welcome the new school year with Phase 2 of the replacement school construction done. Read more »
- Hired by Wharton-Smith, Volusia County School's construction contractor, Urban Forestry Works completed the relocation of four trees in the first week of April. Read more »
- Saralee Morrissey, Director for Planning and Construction, reported new steel beams are going in, starting at the east and south wall of the classroom building. Read more »
- Tom Nasbe and Paul Martino, construction project managers for the new George Marks Elementary School Master Plan, report that work continues on the on-site replacement school. Read more »
Project Oversight Committee Annual Reports
- Fiscal Year 2002
- Fiscal Year 2003
- Fiscal Year 2004
- Fiscal Year 2005
- Fiscal Year 2006
- Fiscal Year 2007
- Fiscal Year 2008
- Fiscal Year 2009
- Fiscal Year 2010
- Fiscal Year 2011
- Fiscal Year 2012
- Fiscal Year 2017
- Fiscal Year 2018
- Fiscal Year 2019
- Fiscal Year 2020
Project Oversight Committee Minutes
- Fiscal Year 2021
- Fiscal Year 2020
- Fiscal Year 2019
- Half-Cent Project Oversight Committee Members - 2021
Please note: Meetings are held on the third Thursday of each month.