Volusia County Schools Summer VPK Program
DELAND - Volusia County Schools will provide a free Voluntary Prekindergarten Program this summer for families of incoming kindergartners who have not taken advantage of the state's free Voluntary Prekindergarten (VPK) Program. Studies have shown that students who attend VPK do significantly better in kindergarten than students who do not participate in VPK.
To register for the Summer VPK program, call the registrar at your zoned school Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. The required documentation must be submitted upon registration. The following sites may be selected during registration: Edgewater Public School (Edgewater); and Timbercrest Elementary (Deltona).
The program will operate four days per week, Monday through Thursday (days could differ depending on school), beginning Monday, June 29 to Tuesday, August 4. School hours are scheduled for 7:37 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Although breakfast and lunch are served free to all children, transportation is not provided. To participate, a child must:
- be 5 years-old on or before September 1, 2020;
- be a resident of Volusia County; and
- have a current, valid summer 2020 Certificate of Eligibility from the Early Learning Coalition of Flagler and Volusia Counties. Please call (386) 323-2400, (386) 736-5010 or visit www.elcfv.org for more information.
Health precautions will be in place, including:
- daily health checks and temperature screenings for anyone entering the building
- isolation area for anyone who is symptomatic
- face masks and gloves provided daily as needed
- proper social distancing in classrooms and hallways
- meals eaten in classrooms instead of cafeterias
- intentional planning for frequent hand washing
- soap and hand sanitizer readily available
- classrooms cleaned and touchpoints disinfected daily
For more information, call 386-734-7190, 386-255-6475, 386-427-5223 or 386-860-3322 extension 33210, or visit the school district's Summer VPK Program page.
Facilitator for Volunteer/Partnership Programs
On behalf of Kelly Schulz, Director of community information
(386) 734-7190 ext. 20230