VCS Bargaining Team, VUE meet about Teacher Salary Allocation

Picture of an empty conference room

VCS Bargaining Team, VUE meet about Teacher Salary Allocation

DELAND – The Volusia County School District’s bargaining team and Volusia United Educators met Tuesday, October 20, for the second time for negotiations related to the teacher salary allocation.

The Florida Legislature allocated $10 million to Volusia County Schools to raise the minimum teacher salary. Per the legislation, 80% of the allocation must be used to bring the classroom teacher minimum salary as close to $47,500 as possible, while the remaining 20% can be used to make salary adjustments for all teachers.

VUE presented the district with a proposal. The district countered with an offer that would use 80% of the allocation to raise the minimum teacher salary to $44,428 and use 20% of the allocation to ensure all teachers receive a minimum of a 1.3% raise. This offer includes retroactive payment to July 1, 2020, and would apply to all instructional personnel.

VUE presented a counter offer that the district is reviewing and will respond to at the next bargaining session, set for October 29. VCS looks forward to continued collaboration.

Together, We Are Stronger

###