School Board Meeting Highlights - January 12, 2021
DELAND – The Volusia County School Board on Tuesday approved an agreement with Volusia United Educators that raises minimum teacher salaries to $44,335 and provides a minimum 2.5% salary increase for all teachers.
The agreement regarding the state’s Teacher Salary Increase Allocation, which has also been approved by teachers, will now be submitted to the Florida Department of Education for final approval and release of the allocation.
The salary increases will be retroactive to last July 1. The agreement honors original contract language agreed upon on in April 2019 and reflects a commitment to making salaries a budget priority.
Also Tuesday, the School Board approved the appointment of Cindy Townsend as the new principal of Campbell Middle School. Townsend has several years of experience with Title 1 schools outside VCS. She holds a master’s degree in educational leadership and is currently working on her doctorate. Her official start date with the #1 Spartans is January 25.
The board also:
- Highlighted Edgewater Public School’s focus on STEM education, including robotics, hydroponics, agriculture, music, and Z Space learning.
- Adopted a resolution honoring Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. on the occasion of the celebration of his birthday.
- Received an update on teacher recruitment efforts. Most instructional vacancies have been filled; Out of the 43 vacant instructional positions, just 19 are classroom teachers and eight in exceptional student education. The Spring 2021 Instructional Job Fair will be held April 16.
- Reviewed the latest figures for student enrollment. Students continue to trend away from remote learning, returning to in-person instruction in the traditional classroom. Enrollment as of Jan. 8 stands at 58,408.
- Announced a partnership with Stetson University for a master’s degree program in exceptional student education for VCS teachers. The 12-month, 30-credit program has been designed to meet the specific needs of VCS. Teachers will be given a 40% discounted tuition rate. Candidates must apply by 5 p.m. January 15.
Together, We Are Stronger