DeLand - The School District of Volusia County will provide a free Voluntary Prekindergarten Program this summer, for families of incoming kindergartners who have not taken advantage of the state’s free Voluntary Prekindergarten (VPK) Program. Studies have shown that students who attend VPK do significantly better in kindergarten than students who did not participate in VPK.
Registration takes place at the student’s home-zoned school between the hours of 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. on Monday, March 2, 2020. The following sites may be selected during registration:
- Edgewater Public Elementary (Edgewater)
- Freedom Elementary (DeLand)
- Timbercrest Elementary (Deltona)
- Turie T. Small Elementary (Daytona Beach)
The program will operate 4-days per week, generally Monday through Thursday, beginning Monday, June 8 to Thursday, July 30. School hours are scheduled for 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Breakfast and lunch are served free to all children, however transportation is not provided. To participate, a child must:
- be 5 years-old on or before September 1, 2020;
- be a resident of Volusia County; and
- have a current, valid summer 2020 Certificate of Eligibility from the Early Learning Coalition of Flagler and Volusia Counties (certificates can be obtained by calling (386) 323-2400 or (386) 736-5010, or by visiting www.elcfv.org).
For more information, call (386) 734-7190, (386) 255-6475, (386) 427-5223 or (386) 860-3322, extension 33210, or visit the school district’s VPK website at https://www.vcsedu.org/vpk.
Community Information Specialist
Community Information Services
Volusia County Schools
386-734-7190 ext. 20234