Drivers Education is an After School, Saturday and Summer School Program in partnership with Volusia County Schools, County of Volusia and The Dori Slosberg Foundation. The course is offered in the fall, spring and summer. During the fall and spring we offer an after school and a Saturday option. Brochures can be found on the website as they are made available before each offering. Registration takes place in August (fall classes), January (spring classes) and May (summer classes).
What is Volusia County Driver's Education?
Driver Education is not only essential for the fundamental knowledge of traffic safety, but also necessary to ensure awareness and application of that knowledge as a responsible driver. After all, driving is everybody's business.
The After School and Saturday Driver Education programs will be offered as a one half credit course. Class size will consist of 30-45 students, depending upon the school sites. If schools have more than the allotted students registered for the class (each session), a waiting list will be created on a first come first serve basis. A student who misses the first day of the class will be dropped and replaced by the next student on the waiting list.
The brochure, under resources, contains information which is pertinent to participation in the Driver Education program offered by the Volusia County School District. We ask that you read it carefully. Thank you for your cooperation and continued support of the Driver Education program.
Information & DMV/School District Requirements
- Each student must have a Florida Restricted license/learner permit on the first day of the summer Driver Education Program. The restricted license must be in the student's possession while participating at all times.
- Must be enrolled in a Volusia County Public School, school of choice, private or home-school program in order to participate.
- Student must be at least 15 years old and must completed one full year of high school on or before the first day of the session.
- If a registered student does not attend the first day of the course his/her slot will be given to the next student on the schools waiting list.
- Absenteeism will be limited to only one class due to the shortness of the program. If the student is absent from class more than once he/she will be dropped from the program.
- No flip flops are allowed to be worn in class, closed toe shoes only.
2019-2020 Fall Drivers Education
Thank you parents and students for registering over the weekend. We have currently met our capacity and are working on roster for the schools. We do currently have an extensive waiting list and will be closing down registration while we build the rosters. We will continue to place information on this page concerning drivers education registration. Thank you for making this a success! Updated 08/19/2019 at 9:23am
HOW TO REGISTER:
Click on link below and complete form:
Or you may scan from your smart phone device and complete form:
Registration begins on Saturday, August 17, 2019 at 8am and will run through Friday, August 23, 2019 until 11:00pm
Due to the limited number of seats available, registration will be on a first-come, first-served time stamped basis
After School Sites:
Deland High School (Monday and Tuesday Class)
University High School (Tuesday and Thursday Class)
September 3, 2019 - December 10, 2019
(No Classes during Thanksgiving Holiday November 25th-30th)
3:45pm to 6:15pm
Saturday School Sites:
Students will have 30 minutes for lunch, students must bring their own lunch and will not be able to leave campus
Atlantic High School
New Smyrna Beach High School
Seabreeze High School
Pine Ridge High School
September 7, 2019 - November 16, 2019
(No Class November 9, 2019)
8:00am to 3:00pm
Community steps up to support our local drivers education program
The drivers education office would like to say a special thank you to the following city's for donating traffic cones for our drivers education ranges.
- The City of Deland
- The City of New Smyrna Beach
- The City of South Daytona
Office Specialist-Nicole Yates
Phone: (386) 734-7190 ext. 20645