School Choice Process
School Choice Variance Application Process
School Year 2023-2024
The application process for Volusia County School District controlled open enrollment is available through your parent portal account. The applications for the subsequent school year to be submitted January 3, 2023 through March 1, 2023 in order to facilitate timely decisions and notifications.
Parents are notified of the choice enrollment window via the district website, and posters placed at the schools. The district will accept and consider applications where available capacity exists at the requested school. The district will approve variance requests where available capacity exists at the requested school. Further, if the parent's first choice is not able to be approved, the district designee tries to accommodate the family at another requested school.
Submitting an application does not guarantee the student will be approved to transfer to the requested school. Applications are accepted outside the open enrollment period ONLY when a school has not reached capacity or a school choice request is based on a documented hardship. You may apply in the School Choice Applications or complete a paper application at any Volusia County school after March 1, 2023.
The Controlled Open Enrollment does not govern Charter Schools or Alternative Schools. Each of these schools has admissions criteria to determine enrollment along with program capacity.
The key factor in granting or denying a request is the capacity of the school in terms of available classrooms, staffing, and/or program availability. The following are often the basis for granting a variance request when enrollment is at or exceeding available capacity:
- Unique Condition (all grades) - A student may be granted a variance when a unique or unexpected event or condition has led to a situation where the student's current zoned placement creates a severe hardship on the student and/or family.
- Curriculum (Grades 9-12) - A student may be granted a variance to participate in an academic program that is not available at the school serving the current residence of the student. In the event that the student ceases to be enrolled in the curriculum, the student may be required to return to the zoned school.
- Children of School District Employees - Based on available capacity school district and instructional personnel may place their children in the school where they are employed or nearest to their employment.
- Sibling - Every Effort is made to accommodate the placement of a sibling to any student already enrolled in a school if space is available. To receive preferences, siblings must apply to the same Choice program or school that their sibling is currently attending and will be attending during the school year. Siblings applying to the same Choice school should be noted on the application.
An applicant may appeal the denial of a choice assignment if received by the district School Choice Department prior to the end of the current school year. Notwithstanding the opportunity for appeal, no expectation for, or entitlement to, a choice assignment shall exist for a school that is at or over capacity.
Appeal requests may be sent via email to: email@example.com or U.S. Postal Mail to: School Choice Department, PO Box 2118, Deland, FL 32720
Availability of Transportation
Student bus transportation is only guaranteed when the student attends his/her zoned school, and resides outside of the school’s two-mile walk zone. Parents/legal guardians are responsible for transportation for students attending a choice school, and ensuring their students arrive on time to school.
School Capacity Information - School Year 2023-2024
Each Volusia County school is considered a school of choice and will be designated with one of the following classifications: substantial capacity, limited capacity, or at or over capacity. Available school capacity is the primary determining factor for approvals of choice applications. The classification of each school is based on SY 2022-2023 projected student enrollments.
Schools with Substantial Capacity 2023-2024 School Year
Schools with Limited Capacity 2023-2024 School Year
Decisions for these schools will be made after the deadline. Depending on the number of applications, a lottery may be held. Limited capacity is also based on grade level availability.
Schools At or Over Capacity 2023-2024 School Year
Approvals of choice applications are extremely limited.
* School is under construction, no available capacity.
** Combination Schools
Attendance Area Maps
Department Email: SchoolChoice@groups.volusia.k12.fl.us