School Choice Process
School Choice Variance Application Process
School Year 2022-2023
The application process for Volusia County School District controlled open enrollment is available through your parent portal account. The applications for the subsequent school year to be submitted January 4, 2022 through March 1, 2022 in order to facilitate timely decisions and notifications.
Parents are notified of the choice enrollment window via the district website, flyers sent home via backpack, and posters placed at the schools. The district will accept and consider applications where available capacity exists at the requested school. The district will approve variance requests where available capacity exists at the requested school. Further, if the parent's first choice is not able to be approved, the district designee tries to accommodate the family at another requested school.
Submitting an application does not guarantee the student will be approved to transfer to the requested school. Applications are accepted outside the open enrollment period ONLY when a school has not reached capacity or a school choice request is based on a documented hardship. Paper applications can be completed at any Volusia County school after March 1, 2022.
The Controlled Open Enrollment does not govern Charter Schools or Alternative Schools. Each of these schools has admissions criteria to determine enrollment along with program capacity.
The key factor in granting or denying a request is the capacity of the school in terms of available classrooms, staffing, and/or program availability. The following are often the basis for granting a variance request when enrollment is at or exceeding available capacity:
- Unique Condition (all grades) - A student may be granted a variance when a unique or unexpected event or condition has led to a situation where the student's current zoned placement creates a severe hardship on the student and/or family.
- Curriculum (Grades 9-12) - A student may be granted a variance to participate in an academic program that is not available at the school serving the current residence of the student. In the event that the student ceases to be enrolled in the curriculum for which the variance is approved, the student may be required to return to the zoned school.
- Children of School District Employees - Based on available capacity school district and instructional personnel may place their children in the school where they are employed or nearest to their employment.
- Sibling - A variance may be granted to a student if an older siblings attends the requested school for a program or on a previously granted variance. If a sibling is attending the requested school based on address and your address has changed, you will also need a variance for sibling to remain at that school.
The deadline for consideration for an appeal is one week after the last day of open enrollment. The parent/legal guardian of a student who is denied a school of choice for their child may appeal the decision to the District Placement Committee.
If the decision is to approve the variance, the office of School Choice will inform the parent/legal guardian and school of the decision. If the decision is deny the parent/legal guardian must register the student at their zoned school.
Availability of Transportation
Student bus transportation is only guaranteed when the student attends his/her zoned school, and resides outside of the school’s two-mile walk zone. Parents/legal guardians are responsible for transportation for students attending a choice school, and ensuring their students arrive on time to school.
School Capacity Information - School Year 2022-2023
Each Volusia County school is considered a school of choice and will be designated with one of the following classifications: substantial capacity, limited capacity, or at or over capacity. Available school capacity is the primary determining factor for approvals of choice applications. The classification of each school is based on SY 2022-2023 projected student enrollments.
Schools with Substantial Capacity 2022-2023 School Year
Schools with Limited Capacity 2022-2023 School Year
Decisions for these schools will be made after the deadline. Depending on the number of applications, a lottery may be held. Limited capacity is also based on grade level availability.
Schools At or Over Capacity 2022-2023 School Year
Approvals of choice applications are extremely limited.
* School is under construction, no available capacity.
** Combination Schools
Attendance Area Maps
Department Email: SchoolChoice@groups.volusia.k12.fl.us
Sandra J. Tweedy, Specialist
Phone: 386-734-7190 ext. 20667
Nicole R. Yates
Phone: 386-734-7190 ext. 20645
Tina M. Spitzer
Phone: 386-734-7190 ext. 20574