School Choice Application
Volusia School District School Choice Application
The controlled open enrollment process allows parents and guardians to apply for their child to attend a public school outside of their regular attendance zone if the chosen school has not reached capacity. The Volusia County School District cannot guarantee placement at a specific school due to factors such as over-crowding, program placement, class size, etc.
Parents and guardians from any school in Volusia County can apply to enroll their child in a public school that has not reached capacity. This process is available from January 3rd to March 1st each year through Parent Portal Account.
2024-2025 Open Enrollment IS NOW open yOU CAN APPLY THROUGH YOUR PARENT PORTAL ACCOUNT.
Click here for parent portal instructions: https://www.vcsedu.org/portals to access the information.
Applications for the 2023-2024 School year is closed. Please contact School Choice for more information.
Open Enrollment January 1st through March 1st
School Choice Processing March 4th through March 18th
Parents Notified of Status of application March 19th
Parent acceptance/deny March 19th through April 2nd
All Choice applications received after March 1, 2024, are considered late. While the School District of Volusia County makes every effort to accommodate a choice request, most schools are at or over capacity.
Students who were not selected in the Open enrollment window will have their application put on waitlist status. The applications are not declined. When and if the school has space available, you will be contacted via email and offered a seat. If a student is not selected to attend a Choice program before the last day before winter break, a new application must be submitted for the following school year. If a parent declines, then we will move to the next student in line. The waiting list does not roll to the following year, parents will have to re-apply during open enrollment.
School Choice Office
PO Box 2118
Deland, FL 32720
3750 Olson Drive
Daytona Beach, FL 32124
You may call us at any time if you have any questions 386-947-8786 ext. 50910
Late choice applications are placed on a waiting list until space becomes available at the requested school. Priority may be given to siblings of students at the requested school and for extenuating circumstances.
Students new to Volusia schools or new incoming kindergarten may find their zoned school by clicking on the following link Zoned School.
It is important for parents to carefully read and understand the provided information before applying for the Controlled Open Enrollment process for Volusia County Schools
- A student may receive only one choice assignment in a school year.
- Students who receive a choice assignment need to register at the school within the first three days of the new school year. If the student fails to begin attending classes, the choice assignment shall be deemed forfeited.
- Choice assignments can be discontinued at the end of a grading period or semester.
- Do not withdraw your student from your zoned school until you have an approved variance to your School of Choice.
- Students with current expulsions or suspensions are ineligible.
- A separate application must be completed for each student.
- The school district will notify each family via phone, email and/or letter from the School Choice Office.
- Transportation to and from school is the responsibility of the family.
- To remain in a School Choice placement, students must comply with the Student Code of Conduct, maintain satisfactory academic performance, and attend school regularly.
Some specialized programs (academies and other academic programs) may require a separate application and will be processed at the school level based on qualifications and availability; a variance is not needed.
Transfers are allowed at the end of the first grading period and the end of the first semester. Appeals are not conducted for late applications, and the waitlist does not roll over to the upcoming school year.
Transfers will only be allowed at the end of the first grading period, and the end of the first semester. There are no appeals conducted for late applications. The waitlist does not roll to the upcoming school year.
To check the status of your School Choice Application please email: Schoolchoice@groups.volusia.k12.fl.us
School Choice Contact
386-947-8786 Ext 50910 or 50911