High School Showcase
What is the High School Showcase?
The High School Showcase is an excellent opportunity for middle school students and their parents to learn about the outstanding programs available to high school students in Volusia County Schools. The High School Showcase highlights the many educational choices and programs that are tailored to help students graduate both college and career-ready. Parents are encouraged to explore the offerings available at each high school and become actively involved in selecting the programs that match the interests, needs, and abilities of their students.
All Volusia County high schools were represented at the 16th Annual HS Showcase event. School Administrators, teachers, and students were available to speak about the opportunities and programs, such as:
- IB (International Baccalaureate)
- AP (Advanced Placement)
- Career Academies
- Career & Technical Education courses
- JROTC (Junior Reserve Officer Training Programs)
- Extra-curricular clubs/activities (i.e. SGA, NHS, etc.)
- Fine and performing arts (i.e. Dance, Band, Choir, etc.)
There were an estimated 2,500 attendees at the event in December and over 20 district departments on-site to answer questions about high school services. The Cambridge/AICE, IB, and Career Academy applications will be available online through the Focus Parent Portal.
Did you attend the 2021 High School Showcase on December 2nd?
- Click on this link to fill out our survey.
- We would love to hear from you!
- Please fill out our survey and let us know what you thought about this year's event.
- Your feedback will be used to make updates and improvements for the 2022-23 High School Showcase.
Information about the 2022-23 High School Showcase:
- Date: December 2022
- Time, Location: TBD
- Stay tuned for information about our next showcase!!
What is the process to apply for an academy?
- Parents/guardians whose student meets the grade level requirements will be able to apply for Career
Academy programs through the Parent Portal.
- Students must be rising 9th, 10th or 11th graders.
- The title "Career Academy Application 2022" will appear for the parent under their child’s name in the left-side menu
on their Parent Portal.
- Are you experiencing technical issues with Focus or the application? Contact 386-734-7190 ext. 25000 for support on technical issues.
- The academy application closes on January 31st, 2022. Don't miss out on an opportunity to take part in one of the 21 world-class academies in Volusia County.
What is a Career Academy?
- Check out the world-class career academies in Volusia.
- Career academies are designed to prepare students for both college and careers. They are schools within schools that link students with peers, teachers, and community partners in a structured environment that fosters academic success. The career academy concept has three key elements:
- A small learning community (SLC)
- A college-prep sequential curriculum with a career program
- An advisory board that forges partnerships with employers, higher education institutions, and the community
What is Career and Technical Education?
- Career & Technical Education (CTE) provides rigorous instruction to prepare students for high-wage, high-skill, high-demand careers and/or post-secondary opportunities.
- CTE bridges secondary and postsecondary curriculum provides industry certification opportunities, reinforces core academics, and delivers the skills necessary for cutting-edge, economically viable career options.
- Work-based learning opportunities, hands-on learning, school-based enterprises, and Career & Technical Student Organizations are key components of CTE.
Would you like to find out additional information?
Contact Bree Castelli, Coordinator of Career and Technical Education, at 386-734-7190 ext. 20640