The Volusia County School District partners with colleges/universities to provide student teaching experiences for undergraduate and graduate students seeking to enter the education profession. Senior internships are fully loaded programs with implementation of strategy, method, planning and classroom management embedded with an 8-16 week program. This program enables completion of a degree in education at an approved institution.
Colleges or Universities who wish to place student candidates with a Clinical Ed Teacher in Volusia County School District must complete a cooperation agreement with our HR department and contact the 2018-2021 Cooperation Agreement Blank.pdf.
Please use the Volusia Intern Placement contact information listed below:
Monica Dreher: firstname.lastname@example.org
Judy Aguila: email@example.com
Senior level education interns seeking a BA degree should begin the Volusia Schools online application and wait for directions for fingerprinting via email. MA degrees requiring a full daily internship(8-16 weeks in length) should begin the online application as well, if a cooperating teacher and evaluation is needed.
Application Technical Assistance - Pre-Internship.pdf
MA degrees in need of practicum hours (field experience only), please inquire with the Volusia contacts listed above and refer to the junior level requirements listed below.
Cooperating professors seeking placement should use the placement request form:
BLANK Intern Placement Request spreadsheet.pdf
All senior interns will be asked to attend a Senior Internship Orientation at the Volusia District Offices. Interns will receive time, date, location and details via email and their cooperating professor.
(UCF students only) must submit an Internship Request Form to the district's recruitment department. UCF professors will assist senior interns with this process. All UCF students must complete the VCS online application as well.
Students will be notified by the cooperating college or university professor of their placement. The cooperating professor and cooperating teacher will coordinate program requirements ensuring student interns receive the full benefits of their internship.
Supervising Teacher Requirements
Cooperating teachers who host a senior intern must have Clinical Ed Training documentation on file with Volusia County Schools Professional Development. Please contact Sarah Dowdell if you have questions: SDOWDELL@volusia.k12.fl.us. Teachers should expect that senior interns will work towards all inclusive teacher duties such as: lesson planning, classroom management, non high stakes testing implementation, student performance evaluations and parent conferences under the supervision of the cooperating teacher. Teachers will work closely with college/university cooperating professors to ensure student interns are receiving appropriate practice with skills and methods needed to complete the program. Additional requirements for supervising teachers can be found in the Senior Intern Handbook.
- Exposure to current educational prep practices.
- Renewal of enthusiasm of teaching.
- Opportunities to share your talent, best practices and ideology of education.
- Collaboration with college/university professionals in the education.
- Mentoring next generation educators.
- Possibility of tuition waivers for college courses.
- Establishing camaraderie and philosophies with new educators.
- Validation of career goals, outcomes and personal experiences.
- Promotion of self with evaluative methods and expansion of your perspectives on education
- Providing colleges/universities with actual settings and demonstrations for real life teaching experiences.
Sample College or University Internship Requirements
- Bethune-Cookman University
- Daytona State College Handbook for Cooperating Teachers
- Polk State College Handout
- Stetson University
- UCF Student Intern Handbook
- UCF Field Experiences for Student Teachers
- UCF How to guide_Obs by Mentors.pdf
- UCF Intern Remote Observation Practices.docx
- UCF COPGuidelinesRequestForm.pdf
- University of Phoenix Roles and Responsibilities.pdf
- University of Phoenix 12_Week_Schedule.pdf
- University of South Florida
Junior Internships/Field Experience
Students completing field observations and other similar college requirements will be processed as volunteers through the district's Volunteer/Partnership Programs VIPS Department using the program RAPTOR accessed from any school site. Students and cooperating professors may reach contact schools, teachers and administrators for consideration of placement and observation hours.
For information regarding the volunteer process contact Nancy Wait at 386-255-6475 ext. 38381 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Junior Internship Information
Teachers accepting students into their classrooms for field observations are not required to have Clinical Ed Training.