Pathways to School Counseling
According to FDOE, school counselors have two pathways to certification in School Counseling (candidates can have their transcripts reviewed by the Education Certification Department):
Specialization Requirements for Certification in School Counseling (Grades PK-12)
- Plan One. A master’s or higher degree with a graduate major in guidance and counseling or school counseling that includes a minimum of six-hundred (600) clock hours of supervised internship serving school-aged students in a prekindergarten, an elementary or a secondary school setting; or
- Plan Two. A master’s or higher degree with a graduate major in counseling other than guidance and counseling or school counseling as specified in subsection (1) of this rule that includes a minimum of six-hundred (600) clock hours of supervised internship with school-aged children and their families with at least nine (9) semester hours of graduate credit to include the following areas:
- Student appraisal and evaluation methods in prekindergarten, elementary and secondary schools including interpretation and analysis of standardized tests and other assessment results that assist students in career exploration, academic skills and personal and social skill development;
- College and career planning for prekindergarten, elementary and secondary school students including college and career exploration and knowledge of financial aid and financing of postsecondary education options;
- Principles, philosophy, organization and administration of a comprehensive school counseling program in prekindergarten, elementary and secondary schools; and
- Consultation skills and techniques for conferring with groups such as agencies, teachers and parents.
Applicants using Plan Two shall submit verification from the employing school district to attest that a school counselor with a state-issued professional certificate as specified in Rule 6A-4.004, F.A.C., will be assigned as the applicant’s mentor during the first two (2) years of employment as a school counselor.