Professional Certification Requirements
The Florida Professional Certificate is valid for five school years (July 1 - June 30) and must be renewed every five years. The Professional Certificate is issued to an applicant who meets all of the following:
- Completes both a District and Florida State Certification application.
- Holds a bachelor's or higher degree from an acceptable US institution, or the equivalent degree from a foreign institution;
- Earns a 2.5 GPA in the subject area of initial certification;
- District submits fingerprints processed by FDLE and the FBI (including clearance from the Bureau of Educator Standards if required);
- Satisfies professional preparation (education courses);
- Demonstrates professional education competence (VCS TIPS Program);
- Submits passing scores on the following Florida Teacher Certification Examinations (FTCE):
- Basic skills knowledge
- Professional education knowledge
- Subject knowledge in each area shown on the certificate
For experienced teachers with non-Florida certificates, a Professional Certificate may be obtained by documenting the following:
- Hold a valid standard teaching certificate from another state;
- Apply for Florida certification in the subject(s) shown on the out of state certificate.
Temporary Certification Requirements
Florida Statute provides an avenue for an individual to be issued a teaching certificate while requirements are completed for the Professional Certificate. The Temporary Certificate is valid for three school years (July 1 - June 30) and is nonrenewable.
Although an applicant's eligibility for a certificate has been approved, the certificate will not be issued until an applicant is hired as a full time teacher. The district certification contact will automatically request the issuance of a certificate when hired in Volusia County. It is issued to an individual who meets the following requirements:
- Completes both a District and Florida State Certification Application.
- Holds an acceptable bachelor's or higher degree.
- Meets subject area requirements by a degree major OR a 2.5 GPA in a course evaluation subject area OR a passing score earned on the appropriate Florida Subject Area Exam, that is no more that 10 years old except in the following areas:
- Guidance and Counseling
- Educational Leadership
- School Psychologist
- Speech-Language Impaired
The Volusia County School District will submit fingerprints processed by FDLE and the FBI based upon employment in a Florida public or acceptable nonpublic school. Once the temporary certificate has been issued, the requirements for the professional certificate must be completed within three years. The only exception is completion of the general knowledge exam which must be completed within one year of the first date of assignment.