Youth Motivator Program
The Youth Motivator Program is designed to reduce the potential of a student dropping out of school by giving them support, promoting the values of education, increasing their self-esteem and performance, and teaching students to set and reach goals by modifying and improving their social skills; attitudes; attendance; and behavior.
What is a Youth Motivator?
- A Youth Motivator is a special type of school volunteer.
- An individual committed to helping a student, identified as at risk, get his/her life academically, socially, and mentally back together.
- Someone committed to expanding the time and energy necessary to help a student stay on the right track.
- Someone who wants to make a difference in the life of a young person by just being a friend.
How to Become a Mentor
1. Mentor's Responsibilities
The Youth Motivator meets one-to-one with an elementary, middle, or high school student approximately 30 minutes a week for a minimum of 18 weeks during school.
- The volunteer helps with homework and encourages attendance.
- As a role model, the volunteer listens to the student, helps with problem-solving, and demonstrates the values of punctuality and dependability.
- Develops a friendly, trusting relationship.
- CARES, LISTENS, ENCOURAGES, AND GIVES.
- All applicants must complete an Application to Volunteer. Be sure to check the Youth Motivator-Mentor box. Volunteers, including mentors, are not placed prior to the completion of the registration and clearance process.
- All Youth Motivators/Mentors must attend an orientation/training session.
- Orientation curriculum includes:
- Overview of Volusia County Schools Mentoring Program
- Mentoring Responsibilities and Conduct
- Confidentiality Issues/'At Risk' Students
- Accessing Resources
- School Contact Information
- Matching and Placement
- Liability and Incident Reporting
3. MENTOR TRAINING SCHEDULE FOR COMMUNITY MEMBERS
Training will resume next school year.
Please email email@example.com to schedule training.
4. Qualifications Needed
- A warm and understanding personality
- Sense of humor
- Respect for others
- Ability to be flexible
- Dependable and Reliable
- Good listener
- Able to accept a young person as they are
- Understand and know that each student is different and unique
- Desire to motivate a young person and help them succeed in school