Youth Motivator Program
The Youth Motivator Program is designed to reduce the potential of a student dropping out of school by giving them support, promoting the values of education, increasing their self-esteem and performance, and teaching students to set and reach goals by modifying and improving their social skills; attitudes; attendance; and behavior.
What is a Youth Motivator?
- A Youth Motivator is a special type of school volunteer.
- An individual committed to helping a student, identified as at risk, get his/her life academically, socially, and mentally back together.
- Someone committed to expanding the time and energy necessary to help a student stay on the right track.
- Someone who wants to make a difference in the life of a young person by just being a friend.
How to Become a Mentor
1. Mentor's Responsibilities
The Youth Motivator meets one-to-one with an elementary, middle or high school student approximately 30 minutes a week for a minimum of 12 weeks during school.
- The volunteer helps with homework and encourages attendance.
- As a friend and role model, the volunteer listens to the student, helps with problem solving and demonstrates the values of punctuality and dependability.
- Develops a friendly, trusting relationship.
- CARES, LISTENS, ENCOURAGES, AND GIVES.
- All applicants must complete an Application to Volunteer. Be sure to check the Youth Motivator-Mentor box. Volunteers, including mentors, are not placed prior to the completion of the registration and clearance process.
- All Youth Motivators/Mentors must attend an orientation/training session.
- Orientation curriculum includes:
- Overview of Volusia County Schools Mentoring Program
- Mentoring Responsibilities and Conduct
- Confidentiality Issues 'At Risk' Students
- Accessing Resources
- School Contact Information
- Matching and Placement
- Liability and Incident Reporting
4. Qualifications Needed
- A warm and understanding personality
- Sense of humor
- Respect for others
- Ability to be flexible
- Dependable and Reliable
- Good listener
- Able to accept a young person as they are
- Understand and know that each student is different and unique
- Desire to motivate a young person and help them succeed in school
5. How to Get Involved
Complete the online application to volunteer. Be sure to check the box for Youth Motivator (mentor). After your application is approved, we will email you training instructions and contact information.