Public Records Requests
The Florida Public Records Law authorizes the public to inspect, photograph and copy public records maintained by the Volusia County School District. Public records are records made or received in connection with the District's official business. However, there are many statutory exemptions from public records disclosure, and some records are statutorily designated as exempt, confidential or both (student information, social security numbers, health care records, etc.). Exempt and/or confidential records are subject to redaction by the District prior to production.
General fees/cost for copying Public Records
- $0.15 one-sided copy, not more than 14 inches x 8.5 inches.
- $0.20 two-sided copy, not more than 14 inches x 8.5 inches.
- $1.00 per certified copy, in addition to the per page charge.
- For all other copies, the actual cost of duplication of the public record shall be charged.
- When extensive clerical or administrator time is involved in retrieving, reviewing or redacting documents for exempt or confidential information (extensive time is defined as more than 15 minutes), the assigned clerical and/or administrator's gross hourly rate will be charged in addition to the per page charge for copies. A cost estimate will be provided to you before production begins. Payment of 50% of the estimate is also required before production begins.
- Email searches: When extensive programming is required to collect public records, the district assigned programmer's gross hourly rate must be charged in addition to the per page charge for copies.
Most costs can be reduced significantly if requests include keywords or phrases instead of "any or all documents/emails", narrowing request to specific individuals, and including a time frame or date range could also be helpful.
Submitting a Public Records Request
Note: It is not necessary to use the District's public records request form provided below. This form is optional and provided for convenience only.
In Person: DeLand Administrative Complex -Brewster Building
200 North Clara Avenue
DeLand, FL 32720
By Mail: P.O. Box 2118
DeLand, FL 32721-2118
Phone: (386) 734-7190 Ext. 20119
Fax: (386) 626-0043
How long will my request take?
Each request is different and there are several factors that affect fulfillment of a request. We make every effort to provide the records in a reasonable amount of time. This process often involves coordinating with several departments to satisfy the request.
Information on Public Records Request
When multiple requests are made by one individual, they will be considered as one request and extensive use charges will be applied after the first fifteen (15) minutes.
One thing to remember about a public record, is that a record must exist in order to be provided.
If a requesting party fails to respond to inquiries for clarification, cost estimates, or any other communication from the Volusia County Schools Public Records Office for 30 days, the request will be closed. A non-responsive request may be resubmitted and will be processed as a new request.
Under Florida law, email addresses are public records. If you do not want your email address released in response to a public-records request, do not send email to this entity. Instead contact us by phone or in writing.
The optional online form is provided for your convenience. You may complete the form and click the "Submit" button at the bottom. Your request will automatically be sent to the Public Records Custodian.