English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) is a comprehensive program which provides instruction to improve the English language proficiency of students at all levels. ESOL instruction integrates instructional techniques for teaching English as a Second Language in accordance with the curriculum standards requirements. The curriculum provides an equal amount of instruction, scope and sequence as that of the mainstream education students. The students considered for these classes function at different levels of English, come from diverse backgrounds and may speak various native languages. Our teachers facilitate our students through the use of ESOL strategies, and accommodations in order to help them meet their instructional needs in a comprehensible manner.
The goal of the ESOL program is to ensure that all English language learners entering Volusia County Schools will acquire oral language development, English language literacy, and content knowledge to prepare them to participate successfully with their English-speaking peers in all academic areas of the general education curriculum.
- To facilitate English language acquisition in listening, speaking, reading, and writing
- To ensure academic achievement
- To facilitate attainment of the curriculum standards
- To recognize and value the English language learner's native language and culture
- To promote high expectations for English language learners
The mission of the Volusia County ESOL Program is to recognize and meet the educational needs of our English language learners and prepare them to actively contribute as citizens of a global society.
- Florida Department of Education Approval Notification for Volusia County's ELL Plan
- Volusia District ELL Plan
- Volusia District ELL Plan Spanish
- Glossary of Terms ELL Plan
Follow us on Twitter!
|Gianna Acevedo Alamo
ESOL/Title III Coordinator
ESOL Staff Development Specialist
ESOL TOA - Title III Activities
ESOL TOA - Secondary
ESOL TOA - Elementary