Fun Facts and FAQs

Fun Facts

Who are we?

  • We are a non-profit, self-supporting organization mostly funded by the United States Department of Agriculture and partly funded by the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (Food and Wellness Division), and our customers. We do not receive local tax dollars to support our program or to cover our expenses.
  • We are the largest restaurant chain in Volusia County, with over 68 restaurants-- that’s more than McDonald’s!
  • Last year, we served 
    • 2,642,998 Breakfasts
    • 5,422,113 Lunches
    • 276,945 Supper Meals
    • 62,229 Summer Breakfasts
    • 86,564 Summer Lunches
  • We serve fresh fruits and vegetables daily
  • All food we serve, including snack items, must meet strict nutritional standards, including calorie, sodium and fat limits
  • All grain items we serve are at least 51% whole grain.
  • All juice (cartons, frozen, slushies) we serve is 100% juice.

Please contact us at if you have questions regarding our program.

Follow us!

Twitter icon


Instagram icon


Facebook icon


YouTube logo



Q: How does my child get a lunch number?

A: Every student of Volusia County is issued a PIN from School Way Café upon enrollment. PINs must be used when students want to enjoy a breakfast, lunch or ala carte item from us.

Q: Does my child keep this lunch number throughout elementary, middle and high school?

A: Your child will keep the same PIN as long as he/she remains in the same school. If your child transfers to another school, he/she will be issued a new PIN. Students moving from elementary to middle school and from middle to high school also receive new PINs.

Q: It’s the end of the year and there is money in my child’s account. What should I do?

A: If your child is staying in Volusia County Schools, the account balance stays in the account to use the following school year.

Q: We are moving and my child will be attending another Volusia County school. There is money in my child’ s account. What should I do?

A: You may request a refund from the café manager at your child’s school. It is best to do this before you withdraw from the school. Requesting a refund after you withdraw your child will delay the refund.

Q: My child is going to middle school next year and has money in her account? Will the money transfer to middle school?

A: Yes.

Q: My child qualifies for free meals. I received a telephone call telling me my child owed the cafeteria money. How could this happen?

A: If your student purchased a meal before your application for free meals was approved, we are required to charge you full price, according to Federal Regulations.

Q: A company is calling me telling me my check was returned at my child’s school? Is this a legitimate call?

A: Yes, if the company is CheckRedi.
If you have a question or comment, please email:

School Way Cafe Logo