Welcome students and parents to Horizon's Media Center
Catherine Fay, Media Specialist and Debra Wilson and Kimberly Schoeps, Media Clerks
The Media Center is open from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. (1:00 p.m. on early release Wednesdays). Please see Mrs. Fay if you need access to the Media Center outside regular hours.
- Kindergarten - checkout begins after "care of books" lessons given at the beginning of the third quarter. Parent permission must be on file.
- First grade - students may check out one book.
- Second grade - students check out one book; at the beginning of the third quarter, students may check out two books.
- Third - Fifth grades - students may check out two books.
All books are checked out for two weeks. Books are the responsibility of the student. Students are expected to pay for damaged or lost books
We are slowly building our collection of ebooks, available to our teachers and students at school as well as at home. To access the collection, the students should log onto VPortal (see above). They then log in to Follett Destiny, and click on the Destiny Discover tab.
Media Schedule and Lessons
Horizon's Media Center operates under a flexible schedule, as advocated by the American Association of School Librarians. This allows the media program to be fully integrated into the educational program. Therefore the media specialist and classroom teacher plan for weekly scheduled visits as well as informal lessons. Small groups of students are encouraged to make use of the Media Center's resources as needed. Media lessons are planned by the media specialist who collaborates with the classroom teachers. Lessons are 45 minutes in length, which allows 10 minutes for book checkout.
The Media Center houses 24 student laptops, as well as an interactive white board. This “lab” is used by classes as well as individual students for a variety of educational lessons and enrichment. The computer lab is also used for staff development, Extended Day Enrichment Program, and after-school activities and family nights.
- Reading Counts- Click on the following link to access the Scholastic Book Expert. When you click on the Browse Book Expert Online button, you are able to search titles that are supported by Reading Counts quizzes.
- Spelling Bee
- Literacy Month
- Scholastic Book Fairs
- Young Author's Celebration
- Sunshine State Young Readers Award
- Poem in YOur Pocket Day
- One School, One Book
- Morning News Team
Media Release & Opt-Out Forms
Please note the difference between a News Media Release form and an Opt-Out Form.
Opt-Out Form - This form is to be filled out by parents if they DO NOT want their kids to be photographed/videoed by district personnel (teachers, administrators, etc.).
Media Release Form - This form MUST be filled out by parents if an external agency (news media, business partners, community organization, etc.) is coming in to take pictures or video. If this form is not on file for a child, then they are not allowed to be involved with any media.