Registration for Summer Driver Education Begins May 17
DELAND — Registration for the 2022 Summer Driver Education program begins on Tuesday, May 17, 8:00 P.M., on the school district driver’s education website. Students interested in earning credit in Driver Education must register online. There is no fee for the program and students will earn a ½ elective credit and a paperless waiver of the road test for an operator’s license. The driver’s education information brochures are available on the school district driver’s education website. Students must have a learners permit to enroll in this program.
The summer program will begin on Monday, June 13, and will end on Tuesday, June 28, with no classes being scheduled on Fridays. Student hours will be from 8:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. Students will need to bring a lunch each day, learner’s license, sunscreen, water, and wear closed toe shoes.
The program will be offered at the following high schools (pending enrollment figures and teacher availability):
- Atlantic High, 1250 Reed Canal Road, Port Orange
- DeLand High, 800 North Hill Ave., DeLand
- Deltona High, 100 Wolf Pack Run, Deltona
- New Smyrna Beach High, 1015 Tenth Street, New Smyrna Beach
- Pine Ridge, 926 Howland Blvd., Deltona
- Spruce Creek High, 801 Taylor Road, Port Orange
- All students currently enrolled in a Volusia County public school, School of Choice, private school, or who are in the home-school program and who are eligible to drive will be given the opportunity to enroll in driver education as seats are available.
- Students must be 15 years or older on or before the first day of the session for which the student is enrolled and must have completed one full year of high school on or before the first day of the session.
- Students must have and present a learners permit when registering. Students must also have their learners permit with them on each day of class.
- Students must not have already received credit for a driver education class, course #1900310, with range driving. If you have taken FLVS or VVS driver education class, #1900300, you are ok to register for this class.
Registration is on a first-come, first-serve basis. If the class meets the enrollment capacity a waiting list will be started. Funding for this program is made available through the Dori Slosberg Driver Education Trust Fund. No district funds will be used to fund this program.
For more information regarding this program, students should contact their home high school.
Seats are limited to 30 per school. Registration contacts will be emailed by Friday, May 27 by the end of the school day as to whether you are on the class roster or the waiting list.
Drivers Education web site link https://www.vcsedu.org/special-programs/drivers-education.
Kelly Schulz, director of community information
(386) 734-7190, 255-6475 or 427-5223, extension 20230
Lawrence “Lary” P. Beal Jr., driver education specialist
(386) 734-7190, 255-6475 or 427-5223, extension 20220