10 Family Traditions for Back to School
Back to School is a great time to establish family traditions! Here are 10 fun ideas to get you started:
- Give each child their own special day - Take each child individually to buy school supplies and have lunch together as a way to bond before school starts.
- Back to school reflections - Video your child answering some reflective questions to think about what they learned from last year and some goals to set themselves for the year ahead.
- Buy a big T-shirt for your kid that says "Class of 20_ _ " (their high school graduation year) and then take a picture of your child growing into the shirt each year on the first day of school.
- Make special sundaes - Have an ice cream sundae party, but rename the toppings things like 'bravery,' 'friendship,' 'kindness,' 'self-control,' and 'laughter.' The kids can 'put on' attributes that they want to experience during the school year.
- Decorate their door while they sleep - Make getting up a little easier by decorating their door with balloons and streamers while they sleep. When they get up for the first day of school, they’re sure to feel more positive about the day.
- Back to school fairies - Inspire excitement with this ingenious way to get the kids to bed the night before their first day so the Back To School Fairy can come visit overnight. In the morning they’ll find a ‘back to school’ package filled with school essentials and a few special treats. OR try out a German tradition...
- Back to school Schultuumltes - German children receive a large cone filled with treats and school supplies on the night before going back to school.
- Record their height - A nice way to start off the school year is to measure them against a wall and make a mark of how tall they are, adding the date and their name.
- Special breakfast - make pancakes in the shape of the grade they will be entering.
- Show-and-tell dinner - Have them share the most exciting part of their first day of school with a show-and-tell dinner. They may share the name of a new friend or a piece of work or painting that they’re particularly proud of.
And finally, don't forget a tradition for the parents! After dropping off the kids at school, go out for brunch and celebrate the year ahead. It's going to be a great 2021-2022 school year here at Volusia County Schools, and we are so excited to have the opportunity to teach, empower, and lead your children! #VCSisBest #VCSBacktoSchool2021