School Choice Frequently Asked Questions

Controlled Open Enrollment Plan 

School Board Policy 203 Frequently Asked Questions

1. I want my child to attend a school that is not his/her zoned school. What do I need to ​​do?

You must complete a school choice application​. School choice applications are accepted for the upcoming year from March 1 through the last day of the current school year.

2. I do not have access to ​a computer to do an online application. Do I have another option?

Yes, you may complete a paper application. Paper school choice applications may be obtained at any Volusia County School. School choice applications are accepted for the upcoming year from March 1 through the last day of the current school year. 

3. Is one type of application better than the other?

Families using the online application do not need to take time to go to a school to get an application. Applications may be completed during non-work hours. The online application process submits the request electronically so it is received in the Student Assignment Office much quicker. Decisions are made as quickly as possible.

4. If I attend a school ​​other than my zoned school, can I still ride the bus to school?

Student bus transportation is only guaranteed when the student attends his/her zoned school, and resides outside of the school’s 2-mile walk zone. Parents/legal guardians are responsible for transportation for students attending a choice school, and ensuring their students arrive on time to school.

5. What determines ​​if a school choice request is approved?

A request is approved if capacity at the requested school ​is available and class size will not be adversely impacted. To see capacity information for all schools, click on School Choice Process.

6. My request has ​​​been denied. Can I appeal?

Though not encouraged, there is an appeal process when a school choice request has been denied. You need to call call the Office of School Choice (386-734-7190 extension 20645) to appeal the decision with the Student Placement Committee.  

7. Does my ​student need to be enrolled in Volusia County Schools to apply for school choice?

​Yes, if you are new to Volusia County Schools or an incoming KG, please enroll at your zoned school before applying for a variance. If school is in session, students need to be enrolled and attending school while awaiting a decision.

School Choice Contact

Sandra J. Tweedy-Specialist

Nicole R. Yates
Phone: 386-734-7190 ext. 20645