School Choice Application

What You Need to Know About a School Choice Application

Volusia County Schools offer parents and legal guardians the opportunity for their child to apply for and attend a school outside their regular attendance zone through the Controlled Open Enrollment process. The controlled open enrollment process allows a parent from any school district in the state to apply to enroll his or her child and transport his or her child to any public school that has not reached capacity. The Volusia County School District cannot guarantee placement at a specific school due to factors such as over-crowding, program placement, class size, etc.

Students new to Volusia schools or new incoming kindergarten may find their zoned school below:

Zoned School

Applications for the 2021-2022 School Year is now closed.


Applications for the 2022-2023 school year will open after the winter holiday. 


Please read all of the following information before completing a School Choice Application:

  1. A student may receive only one choice assignment in a school year.

  2. Do not withdraw your student from your zoned school until you have a approved variance to your School of Choice. 

  3. A student who is subject to a current expulsion or suspension from any public or private school is ineligible to apply for a choice assignment.

  4. A separate application must be completed for each student.

  5. The school district will notify each family by email or letter from the School Choice Office.

  6. Transportation to and from school is the responsibility of the family.

  7. In order to remain in your School Choice Placement, your student must:

    • Comply with the Student Code of Conduct.

    • Maintain satisfactory academic performance.

    • Maintain satisfactory school attendance.

  8. Families who have moved to a different area within Volusia County and would like to stay at their current school may submit an application​ along with proof of residency to remain at their currently enrolled school for the remainder of the school year.​ Parents will need to re-apply for the following school year.

  9. Academies and other academic programs requiring an application for admission, shall be processed at the school level, based upon program qualifications and space availability in the program. a variance is not needed.

How to Complete a School Choice Application

Choose one type of application when completing your request for a variance. Only one application will be evaluated per student per year and both application types below are evaluated by the district in the same manner. Duplicate applications will be returned or denied by the district.

If you received a school choice variance previously, please check your approval letter or email that states if your variance will need to be renewed for subsequent years. If you are unsure of your variance, you may contact school choice at 386-734-7190 Ext. 20645 or 20574.

You may complete the application by one of the following ways:

Online Form

The online form is now closed. 


If you have any questions or concerns please contact School Choice department at: or 386-734-7190 Ext. 20645 or 20574. 

Late Applications

Applications are accepted outside of the open enrollment period ONLY when a school choice request is based on a documented hardship or other eligible situation. Please contact your school of choice for an application. 

Paper Application

Paper applications can be completed at any Volusia County School. The school will forward the application to the Student Choice Office.


Controlled Open Enrollment and School Athletics

Student athletes who transfer to another school must comply with the Florida High School Athletic Association Rules of Athletic Eligibility in order to be eligible to participate in interscholastic athletics and intra-scholastic extracurricular activities. A student may not participate in a sport if the student participated in that same sport at another school during that school year, unless the student meets one of the 6 following criteria:

  • Dependent children of active duty military personnel whose move resulted from military orders.
  • Children who have been relocated due to a foster care placement in a different school zone.
  • Children who move due to a court-ordered change in custody due to separation, divorce, or the serious illness or death of a custodial parent.

School Choice Contact:


Sandra J. Tweedy - Specialist

Nicole R. Yates - Data Analyst
Phone: 386-734-7190 ext. 20645

Heather D. Williams - Office Specialist
Phone: 386-734-7190 ext. 20574